Friday, February 17, 2012

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

One time I was doing a home visit for my job. I pulled up to a house and it looked like no one was home even though I had an appointment to be there. I went up to the door and I knocked and waited. It was as I thought, no one was there. I turned around to walk back down the stairs off of the porch and a rather large hound dog appeared. He was growling and obviously not pleased that I was there.

I stopped dead in my tracks!

At about the same time I froze in place, I heard another growl. This one was off to my left on the porch. I slowly looked sideways. careful to move only my eyes and not my head and sure enough. there was another hound dog. He was just as upset at my presence as the first one and he was just as big. I now had 2 growling dogs on each side of me.

I was in a pickle!

As I stood there contemplating my course of action, the 2 dogs continued to growl. I slowly positioned myself so that I did not have my back to either one and decided to stare at the ground. I gathered my courage and started to ease down the stairs. One by one, never looking up at the dogs, I creeped down those stairs. I was sure that at any second one of them was going to launch himself at my throat and then they both would proceed to maul me.

Fortunately this did not happen.

I kept my back to the bannister as long as I could and then I slowly started to back myself to my car. When I finally made it to my car, I said a prayer of thanks to God. In all my years of working with dogs, that is the closest I ever came to being attacked!

I never went back to that house.

No comments: