Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A couple of Primo jobs I didn't get - damnpamn's Blog - Blogster

A couple of Primo jobs I didn't get - damnpamn's Blog - Blogster When I lived in West Palm I applied for a couple of jobs I didn't get. The one I really wanted and didn't get was as a lion keeper at Lion Country Safari. The woman who was the keeper unfortunately got mauled, so they needed a new keeper. It was terrible that it happened but she accidentally left a gate open when she was feeding them which led to her attack. Basic safety protocol was not followed and I didn't have a problem following this protocol to take care of such majestic beasts. The only problem they had with giving me the job was that I had never shot a gun. You had to be prepared to shoot the lions at all times in case of emergency. (they have never had to shoot one but you had to be prepared to do it) The manager told me that it was a plus in a way because they could train me to shoot. They called my references and even told them they were going to hire me but it didn't happen. I don't know if they found somebody more qualified (and not many people were) or if it was because the last thing the manager asked me is if I had any parking tickets. He was laughing and I told him no - and I didn't have any. But I think upon reflection he was asking if I had ever been in trouble and I had when I was a teenager. I missed the meaning in his question though because he was so flippant about it. I had no problem telling him about it if I would have known that was what he was asking. The other job I applied for was as a keeper at a rare monkey and bird sanctuary. That would have been a wonderful job but it was pretty much a 24/7 job and I was married and they didn't think that made me a good fit. Also they needed someone who had a strong maintenance (as in fixing tractors and farm work) background. I could do routine things that you may find around the house and even build fences (I was a world champion fence builder/tearer downer) but I didn't know anything about fixing engines. That would have been a really cool job. They had monkeys and birds that sometimes there were less than 10 or 20 left in the world. So every life was crucial. My attitude was that all animals are crucial even if they aren't rare and I took care of them to the best of my ability. Both places loved that part of my attitude but unfortunately I didn't make the cut at either one. It was a blow to my ego both times because I was used to getting any job I wanted in the greyhound business, because I had the reputation of quality work and people knew me in my little world. All I had to do was make it known that I wanted a job and it was mine. Such is life. {#add_best_wishes.gif}

No comments: