Thursday, February 2, 2012

How long does a groundhog live anyway?

They said Punxsatawney Phil had been predicting the end of winter for the past 128 years. That seems unlikely to me. But we did have a groundhog in my hometown of Logan, West Virginia that lived at the mouth of the park for most of my life.

I don't ever remember taking a trip to the park when I was a kid without seeing that groundhog. He lived at the mouth of the park on the left side of the road in a very pretty grass filled, shaded area. You didn't even have to look for him. He was just there in plain site. Sometimes there would be a baby but there was always a groundhog there.

He/she was there throughout my childhood, my teenage years and my early adulthood when I spent almost every day at the park cooking out and hiking through the woods. I can even remember seeing the groundhog after I moved back from Florida and I was in my early 30's then.

I think I was in my 40's before I started to miss the groundhog. It hasn't been there for a few years now, but I miss it everytime I drive through the park. He was a fixture through out my childhood and it seems like something is missing when I visit and don't see that groundhog.

No comments: