Sunday, April 8, 2012

"Sumthin' 'Bout Jesus and Sick People"

One Easter many years ago I took my 5 year old nephew, Dwayne, to Church. He was reluctant to leave me to go to the Sunday School class for little ones but I assured him he would have a grand time and that it would be special for little boys just like him. So he grudgingly went to Sunday School while I stayed at the main church service.

After church was over there was an Easter Egg Hunt. Dwayne raced from his class to tell me excitedly that he was going to hunt eggs. I stopped him to ask him what he had learned in Sunday School. It was obvious that he didn't want to be bothered with such trivialities at such an important moment.

He figited long enough to tell me, "oh, sumthin' 'bout Jesus and Sick People!" Then he was gone for more important pursuits. I was glad he was having such a good time.

It was the same church where I used to hunt Easter Eggs with my grandparents. Even my pepaw, who doted on me, couldn't believe that I was such an unbelieveably bad Easter Egg hunter. I remember he would literally have to stand over top of the egg and point right at it for me to see it!


No comments: