Monday, January 23, 2012

My Most Dishonest Customer Ever

One time I had a customer give me a $5 bill but I thought she gave me a $50 bill. I gave her change back for the $50. We were super busy and I moved on to the next customer but I looked up to see her looking at me with a strange look on her face so I asked her if anything was wrong. She said "no" and raced out the door.

I didn't think anything about it until about a half an hour later when someone gave me a $50. I saw a $5 in the slot and my heart sank to my stomach. I knew exactly what I had done and who I had given the money to. She was well aware that I gave her too much change and she didn't have the decency to say not one word about it. I immediately called my boss and told him what happened. We counted my till and it was as I thought. I was $50 short.

Fortunately they didn't make me pay it back but they had every right to because the fault was all mine.

The real kicker was that the woman had bought BOGO bags of chips so she was already getting a free bag of chips. She made about $47.00 on the deal.

Tonight I was $50 short in my till. I'm hoping they find it in the paperwork which is what usually happens. Usually I know exactly why my money is messed up but I don't have a clue this time.

:(

No comments: