Monday, April 18, 2011

There are some lovely comments from one of my aunts in my picture section...

When you read the comments from dreggplant you will understand why I handle some of the situations that some of you find so appalling from my childhood with humor. I refuse to become bitter and old about things I had no control over.

She berates me for not facing my childhood. Here is a lovely memory of her when I was a kid.

I remember being in the center of a screaming, howling mob that she was the leader of because she was the oldest kid in the house and she was in charge. I remember being forced to fight my little brother and my sister and my youngest aunt and my youngest uncle because they wouldn't allow us to fight the bigger kids - that would be cruel you know.

If we didn't fight then we would be beaten by our loving older aunts and uncles so we had to fight. I learned to fight while listening to the cheers of my elders chanting what a great fighter I was. I could take a punch with the best of them when I was a pre teen and still come out and beat the living daylights out of any who dared to stand against me. Or should I phrase it properly as any who were FORCED to stand against me or risk a beating by my aunt and the others in charge.

Still I don't hold this against them or her. I recognize they were kids and they were mean because they didn't know any better.

I prefer to remember her allowing me and my aunt Robin to walk down the aisle behind her at her wedding holding the train of her wedding dress. This change was made at the last minute because I was too afraid to walk down the aisle in front of her with the rest of the wedding party and then I changed my mind at the last minute.

I remember the most beautifully wrapped Christmas presents from my aunt the doctor once she had made it. Even though we rarely saw her because she lived so far away.

I have chosen to forget all the other insults and trespasses from those who should know better.

Education does not teach compassion. I let her comments stand for themselves. Her comments are indicative of other comments by some of my aunts who have never for the most part had any part in my life and know nothing about me.

I have always said, "Ignorance is the best excuse".

No comments: