Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How the mechanic at the Huntington, WV, Firestone tried to take advantage of me

I took the van in for a routine oil change and tire rotation. The mechanic came in and told me that they ran a system check and he had about $800 worth of work he wanted to do. Most of which I had never heard of and I don't know everything about cars but I definitely know about routine maintenance.

One of the first things he told me was that the radiator fluid was filthy. I told him that didn't make sense. When he asked me why I told him because I had hit a deer about 3 months previous and I had to have the radiator repaired along with the fan and some other minor body damage. He actually looked me in the eye and said, "Oh No! Do you think they actually put your old radiator fluid back in the van?"

"No," I told him, "that's impossible."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I left all of it laying on the ground where I ran over the deer. There wasn't any left in the radiator to reuse."

He knew I had him then. He admitted that all those repairs came up automatically on the company computer based on my vans mileage. He had to admit that there was no way I could need my radiator flushed. He tried to get me to do the other stuff.

I told him, "No."

No comments: