Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Get the Bonehead Award Today

Since they have taken me off of my daytime oxygen I have been doing some really stupid things. (O2 deprivation affects the brain) Today I topped them all!

I was cooking breakfast at 6 a.m. and I went to the bathroom. While sitting there I heard the building fire alarm go off. I thought to myself, "some poor schmuck has set the fire alarm off...again." I finished my business and walked back to the kitchen and I saw the pan smoking. THEN I realized that I had set the building smoke detector off!

I walked into the hallway to see if I could turn the alarm off somehow. There was no way to do it. So I went back into my apartment and propped the door open because I knew the fire department was on it's way and I wanted them to be able to find me easily.

They showed up a couple of minutes later. I apologized profusely and they assurred me that it was okay. Unfortunately this happens a couple of times a week in my building. They are nice enough to tell us that is keeps them in practice but I know they don't need this kind of practice - especially at six o'clock in the morning.

Later on I leave for a 10 o'clock appointment. I left early so I could run some errands and I realized at 9:20 a.m. that I left a turkey baking in the oven. I had put it in the oven around 2 a.m. so it was ready to come out. So to avoid a fire and another episode of the fire department coming for no reason I had to go back home and turn my oven off. The turkey was perfectly done by the way. If I would have left it until after the appointment I would have returned home to a shriveled up bird at the very least.

I have told my doctors that I still need the oxygen. I am more tired than usual and my mind is not working too well right now. I can't argue with them anymore. I try to double check myself in everything I do but I keep doing stupid stuff. Hopefully I don't kill or hurt anybody else in the process.

No comments: