Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Little Red Husky

When I first was married we lived in a little 2 room apartment on the third floor. One day Bobby called me at work and said, "Guess what I just saw?"

Of course I asked what it was and he told me that he was on his way into the apartment and he saw a little brown paper bag moving. He walked over and kicked it (gently) and out popped the cutest puppy. I asked him if he got it and he said, "no." I told him if he would go get it I would find it a home and he agreed.

He picked me up from work and we went home. He told me the puppy was on the fire escape so I walked over and the most adorable little thing that I have ever seen came bouncing and falling toward me. My heart melted immediately. THIS DOG WAS MINE! She wasn't even old enough to be away from her mother yet. She barely had teeth.

She looked like a tiny fox puppy and most striking of all she had eyes that blazed like fire instead of the bright blue that you usually see on a husky. She was perfectly marked with tan points to set off her red fur. I have seldom seen a more beautiful animal since. I named her Chuckles because her face was marked like a clown.

I tried to find the owner to no avail. She ended up getting sick and I had to take her to the vet but it was nothing major - antibiotics took care of the problem. We used to carry her in and out of the apartment in a pillow case because we didn't want the old woman downstairs (the landlord's spy) to see her. She always said "we were awfully clean to be doing so much laundry." We moved as soon as I could find a suitable place.

A few months later Bobby walked out of Super America (a local gas station) and told me that he thought he had found chuckle's owner. I froze. I carried Chuckles inside and there was an old school friend of mine named Lemmie Bryant. She looked at Chuckles and said, "Yep, that's my dog."

Fortunately she told me that I could keep her because we had taken such good care of her. She said that someone had stole her out of her yard (about 3 blocks from where Bobby found her) and she never knew what had happenned. We promised her a puppy someday and she was happy.

I had Chuckles until her 8th. birthday. She had to be put to sleep because she was going blind and she couldn't adjust to it. Also she had a bad case of hip dysplasia and she was in a lot of pain. It was one of the hardest days of my life.

No comments: