Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunday Morning Breakfast

Our Family never did eat meals together except for one - Sunday Morning Breakfast. It was a big deal every week and my mom would cook a feast that most families wouldn't have once a year much less once a week. She, of course, did most of the work although sometimes my dad would pitch in (that was about the only thing he ever did around the house). We kids helped enough to know how to fix a breakfast but most of that splendid weekly feast was up to her.

Here is a typical menu: 2 or 3 pans of biscuits (homemade), gravy, fried potatoes, eggs, sausage and or bacon and or ham. Cow butter, various jellies and jams and marmalades and of course molasses. Sometimes we would have fried chicken with breakfast gravy over it (one of my favorites to this day!) There were always sliced tomatoes because my mom loved them with gravy over them. (a taste I never did aquire) Some Sundays we would have either ham or porkchops with redeye gravy. Redeye gravy is delicious!(and I still can't make it to this day. It is made from pork drippings, coffee, salt and pepper - mmm-mmm good) Occasionally we would have pancakes but mostly we wanted the grand fare that is mentioned before.

One time she invited my stepdaughters over for Sunday Morning Breakfast. They walked in and exclaimed, "This is better than Shoney's"!

and it was.

No comments: