Sunday, March 15, 2009

Diagnosis: Amputation

As I was lying in the ER the other night, I kept hearing the woman in the cubicle next to me talk about her husband. She had pneumonia because he wouldn't turn the heat on. He wouldn't let her buy the food she needed to eat and she was a diabetic. The list went on and on.

I didn't know if I wanted to smack her or him more. Him for treating her that way or her for allowing it. I wanted to get up and scream at her (he did not come with her to the emergency room) and tell her "We don't live in Medievel times anymore!"

When they took her to run some tests the nurse came in my cubicle. I told her that the woman next to me had a bad case of "assholeitis". She got a shocked look for a second. I told her that "The best thing the doctors could do for her was to amputate her husband!" She started laughing and she said that she had been listening to the woman talk about her husband also. She said " It's hard to believe that women still live like that in this day and time." I heartily agreed!

We've Come A Long Way Baby, But Not Nearly Far Enough!

No comments: