Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reoccurring Childhood Nightmare

I had this nightmare over and over when I was a kid. It was how I learned to lucid dream. (I didn't know there was a word for it then) It always started out in my Pepaw Brennan's house.

My whole family would be leaving from visiting my grandparents and aunts and uncles. We were in a car gong down the mountain when we reached a fork in the road. My dad would decide to turn around by backing into a garage in the forks of the road. Once he backed in there a concrete door would slam down and trap us in the garage. It was pitch black.

We would be in there until my whole family starved to death. Usually around this point I would wake up. If I stayed asleep I would find a door in the back corner of the garage but I couldn't get it to open. This was another point that would wake me up. I would open the door and start to go down some creepy concrete cobwebby stairs that were barely lit up. The stairs were steep and there was another door at the bottom. I would wake up at that door too. Finally I got the nerve to open that door and there was a room full of vampires and witches and mummys and werewolves and all the other scary creatures of my childhood. I woke up at this point for years.

When I gathered the courage to race through that throng of screaming, grabbing monsters I finally made it to the front door and ran out of our green house. There, sitting by the road was a police car with it's lights flashing. I never had the dream again.

My parents spent many sleepless nights because I would sleepwalk. One night my dad caught me when I raced out of the house right before I ran into the road! I have often wondered if that is the dream that I was having when that happenned. I don't remember because I was sleepwalking. Although I have on occasion been sleepwalking and remembered it. It is fun to lucid dream (dreaming while being aware you are in a dream), but lucid sleepwalking is a whole new level.

No comments: